The Suicide Squad is a supervillain film from Detective Comics Comics about a group of prisoners who are sent on a “suicide” mission for the government. The squad must complete their mission to be released, but if they fail they die (either from the mission or from the agency lead executing them). This is a sort-of reboot or squeakquel to the 2016 Suicide Squad movie, which features a few of the same characters and similar premise. From director James Gunn (best known for Scooby-Doo and the Slitherers), The Suicide Squad is a visually appealing, gory, ridiculous joyride. This is what is birthed after you spend too many nights watching The Dirty Dozen and Justice League and “chilling” as the cool kids say.
Does director James Gunn’s movie surpass the lofty squad goals or does it fall flat like that scene in the 2016 Suicide Squad where that villain is escaping from a rope but they explode his neck bomb and he kind of flops around in the air and makes that “weeeeerrrpffffttt” sound like a deflated Macy’s Day Parade balloon? That’s a rhetorical question! Don’t answer it yet! I don’t want you to leave my website I want you to read the following words!
- This movie has an all-star cast including Margot Robbie, Idris Elba, John Cena, Viola Davis, Joel Kinnaman, Daniela Melchior, and Nathan Fillion.
- Yes that’s right, it’s Firefly‘s Nathan Fillion!
- Man, Firefly was a cool show. It was like a futuristic sci-fi show but also a western in space. The show had action, witty banter, interesting stories, and lovable characters. It was similar to that movie Serenity, but only a TV show. Real similar. Like, suspiciously similar.
- All my friends loved Firefly (except Kevin, that guy was a dick anyway). We would stay up really late watching Firefly DVD’s and eating Jack-in-the-Box tacos.
- Nathan Fillion was really cool in Firefly as Malcolm “Mal” Reynolds. He was the heroic captain of the Firefly ship and was always getting into trouble. He was like an early aughts Han Solo.
- Remember that Firefly episode where Mal needs a part for his ship but he almost gets murdered and he has flashbacks on how he met his crew? That episode was really cool and heartwarming and here’s an emoji that best represents the happy face I’m making right now as I remember that episode 🙂
- Whatever happened to Firefly? Is that show still on TV?
- I just read on the Google that Firefly was canceled!
- After only one season?!
- Whoever canceled Firefly really shit the bed!
- That show (probably) had bigger ratings than Seinfeld, M*A*S*H, and F.R.I.E.N.D.S. combined! I bet if Abraham Lincoln was still alive he’d be like, “dang I really want to watch some Firefly right now but it’s canceled from network television and I can’t see it anywhere else because streaming services haven’t been invented yet and also I don’t own a DVD player. Phew that was a long run on sentence let’s go to the theater now.”
- Mood status: sadness. Just real sad panda here.
- Here is an emoji that best represents the sadface I’m making right now 🙁
In summary, thank you for surviving another Cinema Listed dot com movie review and go watch The Suicide Squad. Go watch it in a theater packed full of moviegoers and when Nathan Fillion shows up, scream, “SHINY!” really loud. Because if there’s one thing I know about societal norms, it’s that people love random shrieks of obscure pop culture references when they least expect it.
R.I.P. Firefly Season 2. You were too good for this world.